Monday, February 13, 2012

Why Religion Is Dangerous

    I've been thinking about why I oppose religion so strongly and I think I have narrowed it down to the one thing that is most destructive about it.  Religion is based on authority.  No matter how you look at it, the thing that ties all the things together in religion is that they can appeal to a book or some quote or in some way reference an authority.  The reason this is destructive is it completely removes people from their actions and it deeply impedes them from thinking about something for themselves.
    As I continue my quest to create social change and encourage the expansion of minds, I realize that this rigidity in religion and removal of responsibility from oneself, will be a HUGE stumbling block to moving forward.  As I always say, there is only one person you can really change, and that person is yourself...if people can't get past religious ideologies, we as a species WILL die (or sooner than later as the case may be).

Featured Post

Corrupts Absolutely

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -  Upton Sinclair The truth abo...

Popular